Current Committee MembersChair: Michael Berlis
Members: Nancy Bailey, Ann-Louise Branscombe, Wendy Cheropita, Patrick Darte, Mario Ferrara, Brianne Hawley, Debi Pratt, Shawn Spiewak
Niagara-on-the-Lake Fund launch at Queen’s Landing in November 2016. From left, committee members Nancy Brazeau, Wendy Cheropita, Shawn Spiewak, Debi Pratt, Lord Mayor Patrick Darte, Joan King and Ann-Louise Branscombe. Absent: committee members Ken Bridgman, Mario Ferrara, Brianne Hawley, Liesa Lepp. Scott Rosts/Staff Photo
2016- The Niagara on the Lake Fund Committee held a launch event on Thursday, November 10, 2016 at Queen’s Landing. The event was highlighted by the announcement by the Lord Mayor that the Fund has secured $550,000 in pledges so far thanks to a list of generous Founding Donors including: Vintage Hotels (CEO Bob Jackson), Joe Pillitteri & Family, Rainer Hummel & Family, Rick Dritsacos & Family and the Lord Mayor Darte Family Fund.
2017- The Niagara on the Lake Fund Committee continued their individual outreach in the community, participating in community events and continuing to share in the funds successes.
2018- The Niagara Community Foundation (NCF) was gifted $460,000 in assets from the Niagara-on-the-Lake Healthcare Foundation, when it closed its doors. In receiving this gift in November 2018 at a reception at Queens Landing, NCF committed to continuing the Healthcare Foundations work of supporting NOTL health care service providers. The gift to NCF was divided into three funds. The first $200,000 went into a non-permanent, spend-down fund, from which NCF will make annual disbursements for 10 years to support health-oriented charities serving Niagara-on-the-Lake. Another $220,000 established a permanent endowment fund to support such charities. And a third block of approximately $30,000 created a permanent endowment fund to benefit the Niagara-on-the-Lake Community Palliative Care Service. This endowment will have a lasting legacy in Niagara-on-the-Lake's healthcare sector.
2019- 2019 saw a record number of grants and donations made to Niagara on the Lake charities. Through both donor directed grants as well as through the Niagara Community Foundation's granting program, in 2019, over $65,000 was granted to 14 charities with addresses in Niagara on the Lake. Some examples of the charities supported by the Foundation include: Angels Rest Dog Rescue, Music Niagara, Niagara Regional Native Centre, Niagara Pumphouse Visual Arts Centre, Red Roof Retreat, Pathstone Foundation and many more.
Click on the links below to read about our work in the community.
- Oct. 2019- Niagara Community Foundation grants $27,300 to NOTL health-care services
- Oct. 2018- Health-care foundation turns over funds to community organizations
- Nov. 2016- Community steps up big for Niagara-on-the-Lake Fund
The story of philanthropy takes on many different shapes and sizes, however at the heart of every story you find generosity, commitment and a deep love for community. We are pleased to share with you some of these inspiring stories of some of Niagara on the lake's community leaders and philanthropists.
- My Story- Rainer Hummel Rainer Hummel
- Mother’s Inspiration Leads to Legacy Gift Ann-Louise Brandscombe
- Leading by Example- Not just a Corporate Motto Bob Jackson
- Join the committe: The Niagara on the Lake fund is open to any and all community members looking to give back to their local community. We meet four times a year with supplimentary working meetings to plan and organize events. To join the NOTL Fund Committee, please contact our Community Fund & Foundation associate Suzanne Veenstra to find out more and to attend our next committee meeting.
- Make a one-time donation
- Become a fund holder
- Contribute to an existing fund