Mini Grants Program
SPRING: APRIL 17, 2023, noon
FALL: OCTOBER 23, 2023, noon
The Mini-Grants Program provides $750 grants to eligible organizations for projects that address the Foundation’s granting priorities. This program provides a time-sensitive, streamlined and responsive process for smaller projects. This grant is not suitable for projects that have a budget exceeding $2500.
Grant Making Priorities
- Addressing the issues/indicators in theLiving in Niagara Report 2020,, or,
- Assisting with the development and implementation of tools and resources that would contribute to an organization’s success; including professional and organizational development and training
Minimum Governance Practices for Grant Applicants:
Charities applying for grants need to have 8 out of 14 of the following governance practices in place to be eligible to apply for a grant from NCF. This is our first step of any application, ensuring that the charities that we grant to have the capacity to manage and execute on grants received. If a minimum of 8 practices are not in place, a charity is allowed to apply once and the charity is directed to appropriate resources and support to address these gaps.
The items marked with an asterisk * are compulsory items.
- * The organization has written HR management policies that comply, at minimum, with employment, health and safety, and other applicable legislation.
- *Does the board approve an annual budget?
- Does the board review actual to budget at least twice a year?
- *Does the board meet a minimum of 3 times annually?
- Are board policies reviewed at least every 4 years?
- *Is there a policy that clearly outlines the roles and responsibilities of board and officers?
- Are there fixed terms for board members?
- Has a strategic plan been developed in the last 4 years?
- Does the board annually review progress on achieving strategic plan goals and adjust plan to reflect progress and new opportunities?
- *Is ED/CEO performance reviewed annually?
- Is a board evaluation undertaken annually?
- Is there an interim succession plan in place or being developed in the unexpected changeover in organization leadership?
- Is there a conflict of interest policy?
- Is there a reserve policy?
All applicants must have a grant consultation with the Foundation prior to applying. This must be done at least 7 days before the deadline. Further information is available by calling JoAnne Krick at the Foundation at 905-684-8688 x 23 or emailing to firstname.lastname@example.org .Applicants cannot apply for a concurrent grant unless they are part of a collaborative and are in good standing with their open grants to the Foundation.